Having your ducts cleaned by a professional will not only create a cleaner living environment by cutting down the amount of dust, it reduces allergens and irritants in the air, removes unpleasant smells or odors and improves air flow efficiency. Here are the signs that your home could benefit from an air duct cleaning.
1. Your home becomes dusty quickly. If you find that you notice dust build up soon after cleaning, this can be a sign you need the air ducts cleaned. Dust may be being directed to surface areas directly from your HVAC system.
2. Vents and ducts are dirty or clogged. Can you see dirt or dust collecting on your vent covers? Or do you notice dust particles when your air conditioning or heat is blowing? Seeing this is a clear sign of dirty duct work.
3. Your air filter is dirty or clogged. If you are changing your air filters more frequently this could be a sign of a bigger problem. Yes, these filters should be changed regularly but they should not be getting clogged days after changing them.
4. Your heating and cooling costs are higher than normal. If you notice your heating or cooling bills are not consistent or notice a rise compared to the same time previous years, your homes system could be responsible. Ductwork can become blocked, keeping air from flowing easily. If this happens your furnace or air conditioner will have to work harder and use more energy which will result in higher heating and cooling bills.
5. Pest infestations. Whether its insects or rodents, if your home has had either, it is a good idea to have the ductwork cleaned. This is essential to prevent the spread of allergens and disease. Rodent feces or dander, insect feces and bacteria can cause major health issues and is not something you want to be breathing.
6. You have new construction home or have done renovations. Construction work is dusty and messy. Even if proper cleaning steps are taken with new construction, drywall pieces, drywall dust, dirt and debris will end up in the vents and duct work. And unless the HVAC system is off or completely covered during renovations, dust dirt and debris will get into the system and in turn be blown through your newly renovate home. It is a good idea to have the air ducts cleaned when purchasing any home, especially new construction or after home renovations.
7. Uneven or unstable air flow Indoor air flow should be consistent throughout the home. If you are experiencing inconsistent air flow it is important to have the ductwork cleaned and inspected.
8. Unpleasant odor coming from vents. If you are experiencing an unpleasant oder in your home and cannot find the source, it may be coming from your vents and ductwork. Unwanted pests, dirt or even mold in your ductwork can make your whole home or just one vent smell.
9. You have no knowledge or record of previous air duct cleaning in your home. Even if you are not experiencing any of the other symptoms mentioned, but you do not know the last time your homes duct work was cleaned, it is a good idea to have the ducts cleaned as it will have built up dust and dirt over time and you don't want to be breathing that.
If you are experiencing any of the above mentioned signs or you don't know when your homes air ducts were last cleaned it is a good idea to have your air ducts cleaned as soon as possible by a trained professional. This will not only eliminate health issues that could arise but will give you peace of mind that the air your family is breathing is clean.